LUXURY BOUTIQUE HOTEL: Hotel Indigo, Hong Kong, CHINA
Style: Designer witty
Scene: Wan Chai wonderland
Seen in the lobby: Real travellers with style
AT 6AM EVERY morning the elegant General Manager of the newly opened Hotel Indigo Hong Kong can be found kick-boxing in Victoria Park.
Like its GM* the hotel has embraced its surroundings. While some less-than-friendly-five-stars like to operate in a luxury bubble, Hotel Indigo's catch phrase is "you don't just book into a hotel, you book into a neighbourhood'.
Hong Kong shoehorns building into every available gap, so Indigo really is the quintessential HK hotel, squeezed into an impossibly small space between chopstick-thin skyscrapers in Wan Chai.
Its stylish design has already picked up architecture awards with good reason.
A geometrical golden dragon curls around the outside of the building; its tail is the steps that lead down to
the restaurant below, its head lusts after the pearl that is the roof top hotel pool (so do I - more of that later).
Inside, coloured walls of light and a sweeping staircase set the scene. Yellow 'Susie Wong' cushions on the settee in the lobby are a splash of wit.
I've decide Hotel Indigo is a TARDIS - bigger on the side. I'm booked into a Premier Suite and there seems to be a vast amount of room in here. Just as well, because I'm about to go shopping in Hong Kong, so it may soon have to accommodate several new suitcases. In the sitting room a red leather corner sofa rests in front of wide walls of glass. I can see out over Hong Kong; cranes, new buildings and all.
In my bedroom another wall of glass makes me feel as if I am floating amongst the skyscrapers.
At the touch of a bedside button see-through curtains turn the scene into a muted Chinese watercolour; heavier blinds shut it out completely at night.
Blinds down or not this hotel never lets you forget where you are. A witty in-room guide encourages guest to step outside and explore, while clever design brings the outside vibe in.
On the wall of my suite is a mosaic of the Wan Chai waterfront in the days when the area was all about seafaring and sex.
There is more designer homage to Chinese culture too.
I love the lucky goldfish that swim across my bathmat and the fat orange carp on my cushions, so beautifully designed I want to take them home. Luckily I can.
Most of the object d'art is available for purchase .The fat fish cushion would set me back HK$300, Then there's the ceramic Kung Fu master (HK $3,500) and the turquoise lacquered amenities box (HK$1700). The list goes on... Hmm maybe I won't have to go out to shop after all.
Boutique hotels are a great option for those who don't want to be (silver) spoon-fed, which is why TLTB readers are asking us for more about them.
If you don't need butlers and bling a whole suite at Hotel Indigo will cost a similar price to a harbour view room at it Indigo's Big Sister hotel, InterContinental Hong Kong across town (although I'd still go there for dinner - the views are spectacular).
There are plenty of luxurious touches too. My bed is piled high with pillows as plump as dim sum dumplings. An extensive pillow menu is on offer so one night I order mine infused with Chinese chrysanthemum and experience the best sleep of the trip. By my bed a push-button console allows me to do everything from switch off lights to closing curtains. Every night a new 'present' appears on my pillow: a Rubik's cube, a Slinky, a scented eye mask. Beats hotel chocolates any day. Brownie points too for a proper clock by the bed - no glowing green dial in the middle of the night.
My rainforest shower is lavish and large and I love the fact that the feng shui -inspired round mirror in the bathroom area can be adjusted depending on my height. Another plus is that the mini bar has realistic prices and some nice little quirks of humour, such as Nobby's Nuts and Gummi Bears and jelly snakes for the young at heart.
The room is tech'd-up too.
There are HD TV's in both bedroom and lounge, and the one the lounge has 3D with complimentary glasses. The desk behind the bed has a whole range of adapter plugs and there is no need for a morning paper when Indigo can deliver over 2,000 choices online to a screen of your choice.
Biggest coup of all is the hotel smart phone which gives you free international calls for the duration of your stay and how many major five stars offer that?
Your personal 3G phone with private phone number also gives you free local calls and is loaded with Google Maps, Skype, transport guides and a currency converter, as well as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all for just HK$68 ($9).
You can get a very decent coffee at the hotel's Café Post
but it is the hotel's rooftop Sky Bar that is attracting attention.
Everything here glitters: the champagne in my glass, the gold bar, the starry ceiling, the city's neon skyline. The clientele are pretty glittery too.
Outside, coloured lights play on the glass bottomed pool which juts out beyond the side of the building in watery defiance of gravity, 29 floors above the street.
The next day I take an early swim and look down on a busy Hong Kong morning as everyone hurries to work far below me.
Now that's what I call a view.
*The lovely GM has moved on but you can still see kickboxing in the park.17/11/14
|Ultimate Luxury: Champagne in the roof top bar with the lights of the Hong Kong skyline all around
|Most Indulgent Moment:
A swim in the glass bottomed pool, so you can look down at all those pool people not lucky enough to be staying here
|Insider Secrets: The owner's gold Bentley is often parked outside
|The Little Things: We love the 'presents' placed on pillows each night and the helpful staff. What they lack in language they make up for in charm.
|Junior Luxies: Not specifically catered for but they'll fight you for the pillow presents.
|Dress code: Smart Casual
|Dent in the platinum:
|Luxury Hotels Link: www.hotelindigo.com/
Hilary Doling 26/6/13
- LUXURY HOTELS: Lewtrenchard Manor, Devon, England
- LUXURY HOTEL: La Reserve Hotel & Spa, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Chedi Andermatt,Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Miami Beach EDITION, Miami USA
- LUXURY HOTELS Mondrian London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS The Beaumont Mayfair, London
- LUXURY HOTELS Sunrise Kempinski Hotel Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Meurice, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Raffles Istanbul
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Sultanahmet, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Bosphorus, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS : Peninsula Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Liverpool Street Hotel's Art Rooms
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hong Kong
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula Bangkok
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Goring, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Burj Al Arab, Dubai, UAE
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont's Canine Ambassadors
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Kempinski St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Culloden Estate and Spa, Northern Ireland
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Howard Hastings
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Nikol'skaya, Moscow
- LUXURY HOTELS: Love Stories
- LUXURY HOTELS: American Trade Hotel and Hall, Panama City, Panama
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood London, High Holborn, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham London, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Cipriani, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Hotel Monceau - Raffles Paris
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Jeremy Goring
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Indigo, Hong Kong, China
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Petter A. Stordalen
- LUXURY HOTELS: Nobu Hotel at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The State Hermitage Hotel, St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Willard Intercontinental Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Fifth Ave, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: El Encanto, Santa Barbara, USA
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Warwick New York Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh
- LUXURY HOTELS: Kerry Hotels, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa d'Este, Como Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire Hotel
- LUXURY HOTELS: Ritz Carlton Los Angeles
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker Hotel, New York, US
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Greenbrier, West Virginia, USA
- LUXURY TRAINS: The Royal Scotsman
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sydney QT, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Como Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY TRAVEL: Hotels as Movie Stars
- LUXURY HOTELS: 'Four Stories' at W HOTELS
- LUXURY HOTELS: Dorset Square Hotel, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Valley Wing at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Plaza, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills, California, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa La Massa, Candeli, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, Sorrento, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Centurion Palace, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Punta Tragara Hotel, Capri, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Suite, Relais Santa Croce, Florence, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Margherita, Bernalda, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill, London
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hesperia Isla de La Toja, Galicia, North West Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- LUXURY HOTELS: Armani Hotel Milano, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Darling, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peak Edge Hotel, Chesterfield, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Celebrity Hotel Reviews
- LUXURY HOTELS: Travel Bible TV
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hilton Queenstown, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peninsula Shanghai, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Bristol, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Babington House, Somerset, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Royal Livingstone Hotel, Victoria Falls, Zambia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Istanbul EDITION, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: The iPad2 checks-in
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Wedding Packages
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Missoni Kuwait
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, Budapest, Hungary
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alila Bangalore Hotel & Residence, Bangalore, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: W London-Leicester Square
- LUXURY HOTELS: Coworth Park, Ascot, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Viceroy Snowmass, Aspen, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rimrock Resort Hotel, Banff, Canada
- LUXURY HOTELS: Post Hotel & Spa, Lake Louise, CANADA
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The Savoy
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Coworth Park
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Cullen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTEL: Luna Hotel Baglioni, Venice, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Blackman, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Olsen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Rees, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hôtel Plaza Athénée, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
- JUST UNPACKED FROM... Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Metropole Taormina
- LUXURY HOTELS: Maison Moschino Hotel, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanderson, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Little Nell, Aspen, Colorado, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Notre Dame, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Crosby Street, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz, London
- LUXURY HOTEL: Chapslee House, Lakkar Bazaar, Shimla, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Glenburn Tea Estate, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Murano Urban Resort, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzina Grassi, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Versace, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luton Hoo, Bedfordshire, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Belmond Charleston Place
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz at Christmas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Lanesborough, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanctum Resort, Myanmar
- LUXURY HOTELS: Historic Hotels
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luciano K Hotel, Santiago, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Casa Higueras, Valparaiso, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Awasi Patagonia, Patagonia, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Tierra Atacama, Chile
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy Suite, An Artist'sResidence
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy's Royal Suite
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Savoy, London
- Christmas at Peninsula Paris
- LUXURY HOTEL: Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Italy
- LUXURY HOTEL: RITZ-CARLTON TOKYO JAPAN
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sage Hotel, James Street
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Silo Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Watergate Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Moxy Times Square, New York
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Grand Hotel Les Trois Rois, Basel, Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa Maia, Lyon, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Social Season at The Ritz
- LUXURY HOTEL: Belmond Mount Nelson, Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Capella, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Narutis, Vilnius
- LUXURY HOTELS: Penthouse Suite, The Mark, New York
- LUXURY HOTELS: World's Best B&B
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Art of Hotel Suites
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Darling Harbour, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS: East Hotel, Canberra
- LUXURY HOTEL: Juliet's House, Verona
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alàbriga Hotel & Home Suites, Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: Pennyhill Park & Spa, Surrey, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Park, New Delhi, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Surrey, New York, USA